A good lot of minerals are required for a nation’s growth. The companies that extract minerals from earth employ many people and thus gives them the opportunity to earn; to support their families.
Right now, many businesses belong to private, public and government sector; which are involved in mining. The mining business in India constitutes a major part of the economy, while it is also responsible for generating indirect employment in the mineral allied sectors.
- Coal India Limited: Founded in 1975 this State-owned company is headquartered in the City of Joy; Kolkata. They are actively involved in metals and mining; Coal and Bituminous. With 7 subsidiaries like Eastern Coalfields Limited, Bharat Coking Coal Limited, Northern Coalfield Limited and others, it is a coal and mineral production leader.
- Hindustan Zinc Limited: Based at Udaipur, Rajasthan they deal in not just Zinc mining, but also Lead, Silver and Cadmium. This PSU company is also into smelting, with more than 6,500 employees on its payroll.
- National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC) Ltd.: Based out of Hyderabad, this company was founded in 1958. They have 3 major mines in the states of Chhatisgarh and Karnataka, while nearly 6,000 employees work for NMDC. They deal into Diamond, Beach-Sands, Rock Phosphate, Graphite, Dolomite, Bentonite and some high-value minerals.
- Vedanta Limited: In the year 1954 Vedanta was incorporated, whereas its headquarter is in Delhi. They were previously known by Sesa Sterlite or Sesa Goa Limited. They are in mining and smelting of Lead Oil, Silver, Bauxite, Zinc, Iron ore and more.
- Hindalco Industries Limited: Established in 1958 and right now operating from its headquarters in Mumbai, Maharashtra; this is a subsidiary of Aditya Birla Group. This private company has 15,000 and more employees working for them in various locations. Hindalco is primarily in the business of manufacturing aluminium and copper only.
- National Aluminium Company Limited (NALCO): Founded in 1981, with its headquarters in Bhubaneswar of Odisha state, this company has more than 7,000 people on its payroll at places such as Ahmedabad, Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Kolkata and many more places. It has one of the few companies in the industry that has ISO 9001:2000 and OHSAS 140001.
- Hindustan Copper Limited: 1967 saw the foundation of HCL, which is entirely a Government owned company. Kolkata has its headquarters, while Bangalore and Delhi host its major branch offices. It has mines in both Jharkhand and Rajasthan, where the former was taken over from NMDC. This ISO 9002 certified company is into Gold, Nickel, Silver, Tellurium as well as into Fertilisers.
- Manganese Ore India Limited (MOIL): Founded in 1962 and currently operating out of Nagpur, they have fully working mines in Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra. They extract manganese ore from 7 underground and 3 opencast mines. It is a state-owned company.
- Gujarat Mineral Development Corporation (GMDC) Limited: Started in 1963 and based out of Ahmedabad, this company mines Lignite, Bauxite and other base metals. In Kutch, it has a Lignite thermal plant. With a yearly turnover of 10 billion and above, it is one of the companies on the Fortune 500 list.
- Bharat Aluminium Company (BALCO): Founded in 1965, this Public Sector Company started with Aluminium and then made an international presence in Greece, Dubai, Singapore, Spain and the other main cities across the globe. For quality, it has ISO 9001:2008 certification and ISO 14001:2004 for the environment.